St. Lawrence Church Oxhill

Oxhill ] Home ]

Church Registers ] History ] Architecture ] Tour ] Slave's Grave ] [ Bells ] Clock ] Bier ] Clergy ] Report ] Officers ]

The Bells

Treble 2 and 3 Bells

4 bell and the wheel of tenor in the forground

There are five bells. Two date from 1701, and are by William Bagley of Chacombe, Northants. The others date from 1878, and are by John Taylor of Loughborough. There is also a small sanctus bell, which has no marks but by its shape is not less than 200 years old. This century the bells remained silent for about thirty years, until in 1987 a group of village enthusiasts restored them to working order, and they are now rung regularly.

Originally there where three bells in the tower, all cast in 1701 by William Bagley of Chacombe.

In 1878, during the general restoration of the church, the tenor bell (which had been cracked) was recast by John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough. At the same time two new bells where added to make the present ring of five, and the bells were hung in a new frame by Thomas Mallaby of Masham.

The ring was dedicated at a special service on Sunday 25th. August 1878.

The bells fell out of use in the 1960ís when the beams supporting the frame became unsafe. Following structural repairs to the tower fabric, a group of local volunteers constructed and installed a new steel grillage to support the oak frame. At the same time the fittings were overhauled and new ropes fitted.

The renovated bells were first rung for the Easter Morning Service in 1987.

Details of the bells are given below.

 

Inscription

Date

Note

Weight

Treble

William Bagley Made Mee

1701

Eb

3-2-0

2

J: Taylor & Co Founders Loughborough LAUS DEO

1878

Db

4-1-14

3

William Bagley Made Mee

1701

C

4-0-14

4

J: Taylor & Co Founders Loughborough LAUS DEO

1878

Bb

7-0-7

Tenor

J: Taylor & Co Founders Loughborough LAUS DEO

1878

Ab

8-3-13

The Sanctus bell is un-inscribed and undated but was probably cast in the early eighteenth century. It has a diameter of about 12 inches and sounds the note A#.

Church Registers ] History ] Architecture ] Tour ] Slave's Grave ] [ Bells ] Clock ] Bier ] Clergy ] Report ] Officers ]

This site is maintained by villagers of Oxhill for the benefit of the community and those interested in the history, news and activities that make the village such a pleasant place to live.

Send mail to the Rector of St. Lawrence Church at rector@oxhill.org.uk.

©2003 Oxhill Village (Terms and Conditions of use)

Last modified: January 31, 2004