St. Lawrence Church Oxhill

Oxhill ] Home ]

Church Registers ] History ] Architecture ] Tour ] Slave's Grave ] Bells ] [ Clock ] Bier ] Clergy ] Report ] Officers ]

The Clock

Clock as installed in 1910

A plaque at the rear of the church indicates that the clock was commissioned by Charles Henry Price and installed in the tower in memory of his mother Jane Price who died in March 1910. It is a Three Train Turret Clock, that strikes out the hour and marks the quarter, half, and three quarter hour with two, four and six strikes of two bells. It is manually wound every week.

It was built by John Smith & Sons of the Midland Clock Works Derby and is dated 1910 on the setting dial. Hand written notes on the inside of the door of the clock box record that the makerís representative, J.E. Howard Smith visited Oxhill to overhaul the clock on the 5.12.46. The clock again received the attention of J.E.H. and J.N.W. Smith on the 27.6.1963.

The village funded a complete overhaul of the clock as a millennium project. It was stripped, cleaned and rebuilt on St. Georges Day 1999. The clock face and hands where restored and re-gilded on the 10.9.99. All works where completed by P.A. Meecham. The clock was rededicated during a special service at 12 noon on New Years Day 2000. A plaque has been installed at the rear of the church to record the event. The inscription reads:

 

The Clock was Restored, Re-gilded and
Rededicated on the 1st. January 2000 to
Mark the Beginning of the
Third Christian Millennium

Thanks to the Parish Council
and Calor Gas
for their Generous Support

ĎA Thousand Years in Thy Sight
and but as Yesterday when it is Past,
or as a Watch in the Nightí

                                      Psalm 90


Church Registers ] History ] Architecture ] Tour ] Slave's Grave ] Bells ] [ Clock ] Bier ] Clergy ] Report ] Officers ]

This site is maintained by villagers of Oxhill for the benefit of the community and those interested in the history, news and activities that make the village such a pleasant place to live.

Send mail to the Rector of St. Lawrence Church at rector@oxhill.org.uk.

©2003 Oxhill Village (Terms and Conditions of use)

Last modified: January 31, 2004